I served in Vietnam from Aug 69 to Aug 70 as a COMSEC Logistical
Upon my return to the good old USA, I spent the next 8 months at Fort
Hood, TX completing my tour of duty (3 year) and working at the
Installation Crypto Repair Shop. I married my high school
sweetheart 15 months prior to going across the pond. When I returned
home I saw my son for the first time, he was 8 months old. Michael
would be our only child. This October Nancy and I will have been
married 41 years.
Finding a job after Vietnam was difficult. In May 71, I started as a
GS-3, Step 1 ($5,524 per year) with the Federal Government. I worked
for the FAA, Aeronautical Center, Oklahoma City as a Publication
Warehouseman. I attended night school full-time at the University of
Central Oklahoma, Edmond, OK and graduated four years later (Jul 76)
with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting.
Listed below is a sequence of my life events starting from here and
Summary of career history is 38 years of total military (reserve and
active duty) with 26 years of those on active duty and I currently have
11 years of Federal civil service time.
- In May 72, I changed jobs and began working full-time for
the Oklahoma Air National Guard (Federal government position) as well
as joining the Air National Guard and performing weekend duty one
weekend a month. I held several different positions with them from
Warehouseman to Supplies Management in Oklahoma City until Sep 76.
- I then went to work for the U.S. Treasury Department as an
Auditor in Amarillo, TX from Oct 76 to Nov 78.
- I became an Auditor with the Health, Education and Welfare
Audit Agency (Federal government), Oklahoma City, OK from Nov 78
through Apr 80.
- I finished Officers Candidate School in May 79 and was
commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in Field Artillery, Oklahoma Army
- I ran the citys bus service in Oklahoma City as the
Director of Transportation, Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking
Authority, (municipal government) Oklahoma City, OK from Apr 80
through Dec 86.
- I took another Officer Basic Course to qualify me as a
Medical Service Corps officer in the Army Reserve and was reappointed
as a First Lieutenant in May 82.
- I went back on active duty as a Captain in the Army Reserve
and was the Executive Officer, 354th Medical Company, Harlingen, TX
from Dec 86 to Nov 90.
- I transferred as a Major on active duty to become the
Assistant Operations Officer, 807th Medical Brigade, Seagoville, TX
from Nov 90 to Jul 94.
- My next transfer was as a Personnel Officer, U.S. Army
Medical Command, Fort Sam Houston, TX from Jul 94 through Jun 96.
- I got promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and became a Plans
Officer, Plans Division, U.S. Army Medical Command, Fort Sam Houston,
TX from Jun 96 to Oct 97.
- I attended night school full-time at Webster Universitys
satellite campus at Fort Sam Houston, TX and received a Master degree
in Health Services Management, Jul 97.
- I transferred as the Operations Officer, Surgeons Office,
U. S. Army Forces Command, Fort McPherson, GA from Oct 97 through Apr
- I was boarded and selected as Battalion Commander, 424th
Medical Logistic Battalion, Edgemont, PA from Apr 98 through Sep 00.
- I participated in the independent studies of the Army War
College and received a Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War
College, Carlisle, PA in Jul 00.
- My next assignment was as the Chief, Medical Operations
Section, Directorate of Combat and Doctrine Development, Fort Sam
Houston, TX from Sep 00 to Aug 01.
- I got promoted to Colonel and became the Director, Health
Services Personnel Management Directorate, Human Resources Command, St
Louis, MO from Aug 01 through Dec 02.
- I was assigned as the Deputy, Plans Division, U.S. Army
Medical Command, Fort Sam Houston, TX from Jan 03 through Oct 08.
This assignment was first as a Colonel (Jan 03-Feb 06) and then as a
Federal government employee (Feb 06-Oct 08).
- I transferred as a Federal government employee and became
the Exercise Officer, Department of Homeland Security, FEMA Region VI,
Denton, TX in Oct 08 to present.
I live in Richardson, TX with my lovely wife Nancy; have the one son
(Michael) and hes about to retire from the Army in Oct 09, daughter
in-law (Kiyeon) and an 8 year old granddaughter named Kiara. Nancy got
her Nursing degree in Jul 90 and pasted her Registered Nursing Board
Dec 90. Michael is a Licensed Practical Nurse and is a Sergeant First
Class in Military Intelligence. My granddaughter is smarter than a
I like the outdoors whether Im hiking, cycling or doing some other
outside activity. I also enjoy hunting and fishing, but havent gotten
to do as much as I would of liked over the years.
Life just doesnt get any better than this.
(Fishing with Kiara in 2006)